The most interesting factor of membrane filters it´s their uniform porosity of the same standard size which is normally 0.45 µm, this size is enough and the right one to be able to trap small microorganisms. Using this type of filtration method, the water sample passes through the membrane using a filter funnel and vacuum system, as the name suggests. Whatever organisms that are too big in the sample are trapped on the surface of the membrane.
This membrane, with the bacteria that didn’t pass through, is then placed in a special plate containing a pad saturated with the appropriate medium. The passage of nutrients through the filter during incubation facilitates the growth of organisms in the form of colonies, on the upper surface of the membrane. Discrete colonies thus formed can be easily transferred to confirmation media. This happens in the scientific field, if it was in the water treatment system, the bacteria would be discarded and the water samples would be filtrated again.
The membrane filter technique is an effective and accepted technique for testing fluid samples for microbiological contamination but like it was mentioned because of the size of the filters, it´s perfect for filtrating water to make it drinkable again.
This method is often preferred because it involves less preparation than many traditional methods, and is one of a few methods that will allow the isolation and easy dissertation of the bacteria and small particles.
Like it was mentioned before membrane filters are commonly used in the laboratory to sterilize fluid materials and filter water but there are other advantages that will be mentioned in the list below.
Advantage of Membrane Filtration Technology
These advantages center mainly in the use of the MBR membrane in the scientific fields but are also referred to as the methods used in water filtration processes.
- These methods are able to test large sample volumes. This is a method that is able to filter any amount of non-turbid water, the filters can handle any amount as long as they are cleaned and maintained in good condition and cleaned.
- The membrane is able to be easily transferred from one place to another for purposes of investigation of certain organisms. This is perfect to be able to study and identify different colonies of bacteria.
Uses of Membrane filters
In this article, we have been given details of this method being used in two industries, but these are not the only ones. Below we have explained some other industries where this might be used as well.
- Membrane filters are commonly utilized in laboratories and industries where there is a need to sterilize heat-labile fluid materials.
- Useful to keep track and monitor bacteria in the pharmaceutical, cosmetics, electronics, and food and beverage industries.
- Allows for removal of bacteriostatic or tidal agents that would not be removed in other filtering methods likes the pour plate, spread plate, or MPN techniques.